July 5, 2011
My daughter has been wanting to make donuts for a long time. We rarely buy donuts and have fried pop-biscuits only a few times in their lives, and that was a looooong time ago. I knew there was a better way.
When we came across a Whole Wheat Cake Donut Recipe she jumped on it. We found the recipe on Heavenly Homemakers.com. We used coconut oil instead of the melted butter and opted to bake instead of fry.
I have not tried this recipe using an egg substitute. So, if someone does and it works out, please let me know.
I blended up some Turbinado (because my Sucanat stash is running low) and cinnamon to sprinkle on top of the hot donuts.
This made a great powdered sugar, and it turned out to be quite a ‘natural’ looking color. It’s been years since I bought powdered sugar, and now, I don’t have to.
This is my Mom-Approved version of our new favorite donut recipe:
Whole Wheat Cake Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar
- 3 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (plus 1/4 cup, if needed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2/3 cup natural cane sugar or sucanat
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup liquid coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. I used an electric mixer.
- Add eggs, vanilla, milk and coconut oil. Knead with dough hook for a few minutes to mix all ingredients.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Cut with round cookie cutter, or lid of large mason jar. Cut out the small hole with a water bottle lid.
- Place circles and tiny holes on a sprayed baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with homemade Cinnamon Sugar (recipe to follow).
Homemade Cinnamon Sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons Natural Cane Sugar or Sucanat
- 1-2 Teaspoons cinnamon
- Hold down the pulse sugar and cinnamon in blender.
- If you can’t get your sugar to blend, add a little more to make a larger quantity. In a blendtec, this small amount will blend. Just press the pulse button and hold it for a few seconds.
- Using a small sifter, sprinkle the Cinnamon Sugar onto your warm donuts.
Serves 4-6 people. Best with coffee.