This dessert is my absolute favorite. I love bringing Vegan Pumpkin Squares to dinner parties. I always get raved reviews, especially when folks hear what’s in it…or what is NOT in it. It is my easy ‘go-to’ dessert for a crowd. I usually double the recipe and often make two batches of a doubled recipe for a crowd.
The spices make this pumpkin dessert wonderful for the holidays and a sweet treat any time of the year.
This recipe is so simple and easy, it makes an ideal recipe for kids to help with. Clean up is super simple when all the ingredients are mixed in the blender then poured into the baking dish.
To clean your blender jar, add a couple of cups of hot water and a drop of dish soap and blend or pulse for 10-20 seconds.
I adapted this recipe years ago from Pampered Chef. Now, the only resemblance of this recipe to the Pampered Chef version of Pumpkin Cream Cheese Squares is…the pumpkin.
I have taken out the egg, decreased the sugar and omitted the oil. And you can always add chocolate chips before baking.
I feel comfortable with my kids going back for seconds or thirds of this dessert.
Vegan Pumpkin Squares
- 1 cup Pumpkin (canned or home processed)*
- 1/2 cup Demerara sugar (or try less sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon milled Flax + 2 Tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup Applesauce
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate (or carob) chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Blend all ingredients in your blender (except chocolate chips). You may need to wipe down the sides a time or two to get all ingredients to blend well.
- Pour batter into sprayed pan and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake 25-30 minutes checking the center with a toothpick. Cool then cut into squares.
*If you are using fresh pumpkin, be sure to squeeze out as much water as you can in a sieve.