Andrea Primm is a Raw Food Chef and Instructor. She has a Raw Chocolate Cake instructional video on YouTube that is fabulous.
The cake literally took less than 10 minutes to make. After watching the video I immediately decided to give this a try in my Blendtec Blender.
The original recipe called for processing walnuts in a food processor. I do not own a food processor, but know my Blendtec can BE a food processor too.
It was an absolute success!
After I was finished I just added a couple of cups of hot water to my blender jar and a few drops of dish soap and ran it for one cycle. Rinse and it’s clean.
I halved the original recipe because I am using a blender jar. I think this can be done in two batches (or more) and make a nice size cake.
I served this tiny cake (half of the recipe) after dinner and there was one tiny piece left. We were full after a healthy meal, then topped it off with a rich piece of raw chocolate cake (which I whipped up while my husband was en route home and my children were playing in the back yard). No one ever new any cake making was going on! Everyone was surprised. Mom’s a hero!
And the best part is they could have had as much as they liked… It’s all raw, no sugar, no milk or eggs or even flour. Just 5 ingredients: walnuts, dates, cocoa, vanilla and salt.
Pitted Medjool dates.
This is what the walnuts should look like before adding the dates.
Add dates, cocoa, vanilla and salt to the walnuts and this is what the chocolate mixture should look like when you are done blending/processing in your blender.
Scrape the chocolate mixture onto a cake plate and it’s ready to mold into a cake shape.
Voila! Raw Chocolate Cake in less than 10 minutes. I sprinkled with unsweetened coconut.
Do you have 10 minutes? Give it a try and let me know how it turns out!
Below is the link to the video on YouTube and the recipe.
Andrea Primm’s Raw Chocolate Cake YouTube Video
This is the whole recipe, so if you are using a blender you may want to process half at a time. I used my large 4 Qt blending jar.
Raw Chocolate Cake
- 3 cups walnuts
- 20 pitted Medjool Dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup cocoa or raw Cacao Powder or Carob
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (I used Real Salt)
- Process walnuts in your food processor or blender jar (half the recipe if using a blender). Process (pulse) until walnuts are small crumbly texture. “Larger than a grain of sand but smaller than a pebble,” is how Andrea illustrates it.
- Add pitted dates, cocoa, vanilla and salt.
- Process (pulse) until walnuts and dates makes a crumbly texture. You want to be able to mold the mixture with your hand.
- Scrape the chocolate walnut mixture onto a cake plate.
- Mold into a shape using your hands.
- You have raw chocolate cake!
This is a birthday month at our house!
And he’s MUCH older than 9!