This is not a subject I am an expert on, but thankfully Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. is.
He has recently published an article on the Huffington Post detailing his findings on what causes early puberty in girls and how to avoid it.
A quick summary of the actions you can take as a parent to protect your children:
- Focus on preparing whole plant foods vs. animal foods.
- Minimize all dairy products — replace cows milk with almond and hemp milk.
- Exercise with your children — think bicycle vs. battery powered toys.
- Minimize processed foods — think box equals chemicals not real food.
- Experiment with a wide variety of natural plant foods and involve them in the kitchen and explain as much as you can.
- Buy organic when you can or better yet, grow your own pesticide free vegetables.
- Avoid BPA – found in riqid polycarbonate plastics, do not microwave plastics, minimize canned foods.
- Avoid phthalates found in plastics marked with recycling label #3 (PVC). Check ingredients list on personal care products for phthalates (fragrances).
The one item I will add to Dr. Furhman’s list that has made all of the above easier for me:
- Purchase a highly quality kitchen blender, that will allow you to prepare more meals from whole unprocessed foods. Think whole grain breads, raw vegatable soups and unlimited kid friendly smoothie options.
After reading this, I have a few actions of my own to take … as the phthaltes issue is something I have not been closely watching for. We all can take steps to prevent these issues that take years to develop.
“The most effective type of health care is vigilant and excellent self care.”
Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D.