For those who just want simplicity, the Old Smokey Electric Smoker is just the right choice for about $150. It’s an electric powered meat smoker that has all the essential advantages while remains plainly basic and straightforward for anyone who wants to do casual barbecue smoking.
This electric version is very similar in construction and design to their Old Smokey Charcoal Grill, with added convenience of an electricity as fuel, No frills, not fluffs, just what you will actually make use of is the philosophy behind the Old brand.
Can the Old Smokey Electric Smoker Cook Indoor?
While generally electric smokers are safe and require very low maintenance, this Old Smokey device is still not suitable to be used indoor. Even though many consumers have reported that the lid closes tightly, there is still some smoke leakage which can easily permeate and ruin your furniture or carpet floor.
So the best option is to keep the food smoker outside of your house. If you live in an apartment with balcony or open backyard space, this would be the perfect solution to smoking meat without the risk of burning toxic charcoal fuels or wood pellets. It is safe enough that your neighbors won’t even know that you are smoking meat in-house.
Advantages of Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- Cheap, good quality and value for the money. It makes a great choice for anyone who wants a better electric smoker than cheap rickety smokers, but still under $200 mark.
- Ease of use for even novice bbq smokers. You won’t have to worry about topping coals or keeping the propane gas running continuously. Simply load the food with all seasoning, basting, and then let this food smoker do the rest of the cooking job.
- Big enough to hold about 10 lbs shoulder of pork, about 8 lbs of brisket or turkey cut into smaller pieces.
- No need for water smoking as the lid seals quite tight to capture all the meat juices.
- Constant and even basting of meat for more flavorful results thanks to flat top design.
- Adjustable heating element to better control your cooking temperature
- Easy to assemble with just basic tools
- Durable construction with corrosion resistant aluminized steel
Disadvantages of Old Smokey Electric Smoker
- The metal steel body is reported to be a little thin and can easily be bent or change shape accidently during the shipping.
- With power ratings of just 1,250 Watts at 120V, it’s not hot enough to brown thick meat barbecues. If you cook a whole chicken or duck, for example, they need to be chopped into smaller portions to be properly smoked.
- Lacks the temperature gauge – an absolutely must have tool if you want deliciously smoked barbeque meat.
- This electric smokey unit won’t give you truly authentic taste and flavor that can only be achieved with charcoal smokers.
With over 50 reviews at Amazon, owners have rated this Old Smokey Electric cooker at 4.5 out of 5 star ratings on average. A quote from one of the top owner reviews says it best:
Best place to Buy Electric Old Smokey
Cheap places to buy the old smokey electric smoker include: Amazon, Northern Tools or River Country. If you buy online, you should be able to easily get a special offer during holidays and get it delivered to you for free at the price of less than $150. Else, with some luck, you can find special sale prices at local hardware, home and garden stores. This is the pretty much the best deal you can get for the brand new Old Smokey cooker.
It comes with a drip pan, two cooking racks, carrying handles for convenient transportation and some smoking ships ready to smoke the meat right out of the box.