The Motorola Talkabout MR Series is a product of the Motorola Company. Motorola is a leading multinational company based in Schaumburg, Illinois, U.S. that specializing in telecommunication devices.
Devices in the Motorola Talkabout MR Series mainly consist of average class two-way communication walkie-talkies. These devices are quite affordable. They are best suitable for common day to day use but can also be useful for some outdoor activities such as fishing, hiking, and camping.
Most devices in the MR series have similar features, therefore, for a better understanding of this series, it is important to major on a particular common device in the same series. This review thus mostly majors on the Motorola Talkabout MR350R. This will bring to light most features that are common to this series, thus a better understanding of the series in general.Check Price on Amazon
Features of the Motorola Talkabout MR Series
- Rechargeable Battery with LCD Battery Meter: Just like most devices in the series, the Motorola Talkabout MR350R has a rechargeable built-in battery pack. The device also features an LCD battery level meter to inform the user of the amount of power remaining.
- 35 Mile Top Transmission Range: At certain optimal conditions, the average maximum frequency range for this series is 35 miles. The Mid and Base ranges are 9 and 2 miles respectively.
- NOAA Weather Alert: The MR series also feature a total of eleven weather channels, seven of which are NOAA for real-time weather alerts.
- Quiet Talk (QT) Interruption Filter: This feature allows the device to filter out interfering frequencies for clear and high-quality calls.
- Push-to-Talk Power Booster: This allows the device to use less transmission power under normal use, and more power when the button is activated. This enables the device to transmit at longer ranges only when the button is activated, thus saving power.
Advantages of the Motorola Talkabout MR Series
- Alert signal: most Motorola Talkabout MR Series gadgets have the ability to send alert signals to other users, in case of an emergency. This makes the device convenient for group activities, preventing separation of members and impending dangers.
- Flashlight capability: Most devices in this series feature a built-in flashlight that comes in useful when the user need artificial light.
- VOX/iVOX: These devices feature hands-free communication with or without accessories. This is useful when the user’s hands are preoccupied, for example while riding.
- Vibrating Alert: The devices also feature the VibraCall. This enables the device notify the user of incoming calls and alerts via vibration, especially where ringtones are not appropriate.
The Motorola Talkabout MR Series gadgets are a great choice, but it’s important to note some downsides. The main disadvantage is that most devices in the series are not waterproof. This means that if one operates these devices under heavy rain conditions or accidentally drops them in water, it is highly probable that the device’s full functionality will be affected. Also, one has to note that the devices in this series can only attain their full frequency range of transmission in flat and open areas. In the case of mountains and forests, the average frequency range is just a few miles, most commonly two to three miles.
The Motorola Talkabout MR Series is a convenient choice due to its relatively fair prices and a wide variety of possible applications. Also, the series is sure to offer good battery life with its Push-to-Talk Power Booster for battery life optimization. The devices in the series also deliver high-quality signals due to their signal filters, ensuring the user enjoys clear calls.Check out the Motorola Talkabout MR Series on Amazon