Just today it was mentioned that this was the absolute best way to eat spinach. Spinach was actually requested in her smoothie. All this came from our 7 year old!
Here’s the recipe:
- Start with blending 3/4 of your blender jar full of spinach and 1 cups water
- Then add 2 bananas after the spinach and water are blended
- Next, add 1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger (start small until you learn how much you like)
- Then, the juice of one lemon or lime
- If you have it 1 cup of apple cider to top it off (adjust the liquid volume as needed for your taste and blender capacity).
Kale is also a green we have tried in our smoothies, the taste is mild enough to not have that ‘green’ taste. Arugula is another mild tasting green … haven’t tried that yet.
This was the first time I used fresh ginger and it has now become a staple in my smoothie cabinet. A hint on peeling ginger: use the edge of a spoon to scrape off the peeling. I found that freezing then thawing makes it soft. Another hint is to keep it in dry scotch, for those who have scotch just lying around the house.
I’d love to hear your comments and variations on this recipe.