How To Choosing A Portable Table Saw
Whether you’re a seasoned contractor remodeling a home, a shop owner with a large list of customers, or a weekend craftsman looking to build a deck, if you working with wood, a quality table saw is a crucial piece to your project.
I started this review site to help you decide which type of saw is right for the jobs you’ll be doing. Regardless if you currently own a table saw and are looking to upgrade, or if this will be your first purchase, I believe you will find all the advice and information you’re looking for within these pages.
In fact, if you know close to nothing about table saws, you’ve definitely come to the right place! I’m always compiling the most comprehensive, fair, accurate and up-to-date reviews of leading saws on the market.
What is a table saw?
A table saw is a type of woodworking equipment where an electric motor drives a circular saw that sits inside the table top. The table provides a level and stable plane to allow more accurate and precise cuts, and the blade can be positioned up and down and side to side to control the depth and the angle of cuts.
What are the different types of table saws available?
Before purchasing a table saw, you must first understand the different types of saws so you know which kind to purchase. Basically there are four categories of table saws to consider: benchtop table saws (job site saws), Contractor table saws, cabinet table saws and hybrid table saws.
Benchtop Table Saws
Benchtop table saws, also known as job site saws because they can be transported with ease to job sites, are the smallest and least expensive of the types. These saws are lightweight and can be fastened to a bench, but are narrower than contractor saws which consequently limit the amount of width you can rip, and its smaller mass will induce more vibration than its bigger counterparts.
Contractor Table Saws
Contractor table saws are generally larger and heavier than benchtop saws. They are usually equipped with built-on stands, and many are also fitted with wheels for easy movement and storage. These types of saws are popular with hobbyists and amateurs who want something larger and more sturdy than a benchtop saw, but still want something affordable and without large electrical loads.
Cabinet Table Saws
Cabinet table saws are the largest and heaviest of the types. These machines are most likely to be stationary and commonly found in wood shops and other industrial and commercial settings, but are also found in home-based shops, too. The cabinet saw is symbolized by it’s large base (the cabinet) and its size and weight help to decrease the amount of vibration making cuts more precise.
Hybrid Table Saws
The last type of saw is the hybrid table saw. As the name implies, these saws are designed to be a hybrid of the contractor and cabinet table saws, and are sometimes referred to as “light-duty” cabinet saws. Most offer a base similar to cabinet saws which allow for better dust collection and less vibration, but are equipped with a smaller motor like the contractor saws.
Below you will find a brief comparison chart of different saws along with their specifications – as well as some additional factors to consider when purchasing your new saw.
DEWALT DW745 10-Inch Compact Portable Table Saw with 16-Inch Max Rip Capacity
Overall, the DEWALT DW745 is the right saw for the job if you’re top criteria is to have a portable, versatile and power packed table saw your search is over.
In this table saw Dewalt has built a small powerful package that is light enough at 45 pounds to be easily moved to save you time and effort by being close to the job at hand.
Dewalt DW745 Portable Table Saw – Delivers The Goods
If you’re ready to buy the DW745 follow this link to purchase the saw on Amazon.
- Powerful motor enables you to tackle ripping a range of tough materials with ease. From cutting trim materials for cabinetry to ripping through pressure treated lumber the DW744 packs a punch.
- Rack and pinion fence system enables precise cuts and easy adjustments.
- Easily adjustable for a range of cuts by varying the blade angle, saw depth and blade parallax.
- Portability the DW745 is among the lightest and most portable table saws on the market perfect for taking on the job site (it weighs 20 pounds less than the Dewalt DW744).
- High build quality despite the light weight of this saw its design incorporate an aluminum table surface and a tubular steel frame.
- High noise level given the use of a universal motor in this model means that this saw has a very a noisy
- Poorly made miter if you’re serious about doing a significant amount of work with this saw you will likely want to invest in a replacement miter since the stock miter gauge is consistently seen as poor quality.
- Inability to use a dado blade a key issue for many users of the DW745 is the inability to install and use a dado blade given a trade-off by Dewalt to focus on offering a portable 10” saw in small package.
- Need to replace standard blade a number of other owners have indicated the need to swap out the bade that ships with the DW745.
- Small work area (some have noted that an extension should be possible but Dewalt doesn’t offer this as an accessory and we couldn’t find an alternative for this issue),
- Powerful motor 15Amp provides smooth power for making tough cuts
- Highly portable with ability to pair it with several stands for working on site either the DEWALT DW7440RS rolling saw stand or an aftermarket model.
- Rip up to 16-inch of materials
- Blade adjustment for cuts from 0 to 45 degrees to apply bevel
- Metal construction with strong roll cage base for extra durability
- Dust collection port 2-1/2 inch port enables connection to a dust collection system
- Length: 25.80 inches
- Width: 26.50 inches
- Height: 13.90 inches
- Working Weight 45 pounds
- Max Rip Cut 16 inches
- Max Blade Size 10 inches
- Motor Size 15 Amp
- Warranty 3 year limited warranty, 1 year free service & 90 day money-back guarantee
We think DEWALT’s DW745 makes a great choice as a portable table saw if your application requires you to frequently move a table saw right up to the job site.
Buying this saw puts you in a position to take an extremely powerful and compact table saw with you to whatever job you are working on. Dewalt has taken time to focus on not sacrificing many of the features that you would find on a full-sized table saw along with solid product design in the rack and pinion fence system.
One consideration is that if you are a DIYer or hobbist with room for a full size saw the DW745 is not likely a great choice given several limitations: unable to handle full sheets of plywood and the inability to install a dado blade. If you need are doing work that requires the use of a dado blade then the DW745 is not the saw for you given the inability to use a dado with this saw.
Good or bad, Dewalt made the choice to focus on size over functionality and the short arbor on this table saw means that you can’t use a dado blade with this saw.
Bottom-line is that this is a great saw if you’re looking for a portable table saw that has the power to tackle a wide-range of jobs.
Bosch 4100-09 Portable Table Saw –
If you are looking for a powerful, well designed portable table saw then this is it.
With the assurance of Bosch quality and enhanced safety features, it is one of the best offerings in its price range. Its eight inch wheels make it easy to move across roughest on-site terrain. The stand weighs only 39 pounds but is made of sturdy material to withstand the rough and tumble of transportation.
To give it longevity, the stand has been given a powder coated finish. It certainly is a saw with better build and accuracy when compared with other contemporary portable saws.
If you’re ready to enjoy a great saw in the Bosch 4100-09 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Stand click through to Amazon.
- High powered motor with soft start system ratchets up 4HP . The saw also has a constant response circuit to maintain speed under varying load.
- Easily Portability and set-up with the one of its kind Gravity-Rise Stand which can be deployed quickly and effortlessly. The table is made of high quality aluminum for extended life and strength.
- Smart Guard System enhances the visibility and keeps the user safe from contact with the blade and also helps in avoiding kickback. The system does not require any tools to setup and can be put in place within seconds.
- Simple installation is another feature that makes it an attractive tool to have. The Saw can be up and running in as the parts just need to be put into the respective slots. The Gravity-Rise stand is fully adjustable and can be adapted to uneven surfaces.
- A large number of useful accessories come in the box, which make the saw very versatile and increases its utility for the user.
- On board storage is available for the accessories, which make it easier to transport the whole unit quickly and without hassle.
- Strong metallic build of the Bosch 4100-09 10 Inch Work Site Saw makes it sturdy, durable and long lasting.
- Even though the it comes with a regular shop vac connection, a lot of users find the dust collection system inadequate and consequently you may end up with lot of saw dust lying around at the workplace.
- The warranty is only for 1 year while most saws in this category have a three years warranty.
- Like most other portable saws, it can be very loud while in operation. You should use hearing protection when using it.
- It is priced on the higher side when compared to similar products. Most other Saws in this category are cheaper than this one.
- The table height is about 3 inches taller than the standard, which some users may find awkward it work to work on for some users.
- Users may find the wheels to be too small for moving it up or down a staircase or other similar rough terrain. There are chances of chipping or damaging the stand when it comes in direct contact with the surface during such movement.
The features :
- Handles attached to the Gravity stand provide increased portability.
- Has a quadrate lock rip fence that can make a 12 inch left rip and a 25 inch. right rip and therefore can handle wider material.
- 15 Amp motor provides enough power for smooth operation under varying load.
- The blade is capable of ripping through 25 inches of material. Therefore it can handle larger stock with ease.
- -2 to 47 degree cuts and dado cuts up to 13/16 inches can be made.
- A wide Cutting table with dimensions of 29 x 21.5 inches, which can deal with larger stock.
- Completely tool free operation as the accessories are modular and can be quickly snapped on or off as per requirements.
- A riving knife is present that prevents the stock from grabbing the blade. It offers three different positions for a full upright, non-thru and split cutting.
- Has an arbor lock mechanism, which helps make changing blades a simple exercise.
- It has a maximum cut depth is 1-7/8 inches at an angle of 45 degrees and is 3-1/8 inches at an angle of 90 degrees for a variety of useful cuts.
- To ensure accuracy of rip cutting it comes with a T-slot Miter gauge.
- One point bevel movement that makes it more accurate.
- Gravity Rise Stand with pneumatic treaded wheels and collapsible design. The wheel diameter is eight inch so the wheels are big enough to allow the saw to be transported across the usual uneven terrain that one may encounter at work site.
Length: 39.10 inches
Width: 20.90 inches
Height: 30 inches
Weight: 99 pounds
Max Rip Cut: 25 inches
Max Blade Size: 10 inches
Motor Size: 15 Amps
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty, 30-day money back guarantee, one-year service protection plan.
The Wrap-Up :
Bosch 4100-09 10-Inch Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Stand is a great buy in our opinion if you want a saw that is easily portable and can deployed at remote or difficult on-site terrain.
This is because of its light weight stand and collapsible design. It can be easily loaded into the back of a truck by holding it by its integrated handles. Its tough metal body and frame can withstand the shock and tumble of transportation.
It is very safe to operate as it has the Smart Guard System which gives the user better visibility and guards against blade contact and kickback. The motor is powerful enough to address most requirements of the user.
The Gravity-Rise Stand is certainly a feature that sets it apart from other portable table saws. It folds and unfolds easily, is sturdy and adjustable.