Portable Generators Reviews – Best Portable Generator 2011
Portable Generators Hub.com is here to make your buying decision an easy one.
Overwhelmed by all the choices? We know it can be confusing and frustrating to choose a suitable portable generator because there are so many different brands and models out there in the market. We have done extensive research and we’re here to provide you with honest and unbiased portable generator reviews.
Top 5 Best Portable Generators of 2019
Portable Generator Categories
As you consider your wattage needs, it’s helpful to know that portable generators fall roughly into four size groups:
- Small: Under 3500 watts
- Mid-Sized: 4000-7000 watts
- Large: Above 7000 watts
Small Portable Generators (under 3500 watts) – At the top end, these can keep a few appliances running simultaneously during a power outage, such as a refrigerator, several lights and a computer or TV. For electronics, the safest bet is an inverter generator, which maintains consistent power and prevents electrical surges that can damage computers and televisions.
Mid-sized Portable Generators (4,000-7,000 watts) – Enough for extended emergency use for a 1,200- to 3,000-square-foot house. The exact size needed will depend on how many appliances you think are essential to run simultaneously.
Large Portable Generators (above 7000 watts) – The most powerful portable generators can be up to 10,000 watts and can provide backup power to larger homes.
It is recommended that you compare portable generators by running (continuous) wattage — the watts the generator can produce on a continuous basis. Maximum or surge wattage shows how much extra power the generator can provide for a short time, to start motors or large appliances like air conditioners, for example. Be advised: Most brands put the maximum (peak) wattage in the model name, which can be misleading so be sure to look for the smaller value of running wattage instead.
Recreational vs Emergency Portable Generators
Recreational generators are great for tailgating or camping. A power outage, however, is no picnic.
Small recreational models will only power an appliance or two. Plus, you’ll need to refill their small gas tanks every few hours. We recommend purchasing a portable generator specifically designed for “Emergency Power” that have at least 4000 watts.
There are a few ways to think about emergency power:
- I want to be able to operate a microwave oven, a TV, some lights and my computer so I can eat and get some work done. You can do this with a small 2000-watt generator and plug things into it with an extension cord.
- My main goal is to keep my refrigerator and/or freezer running, but I would also like to run some lights and small appliances. You can do this with a 2,500- to 4,000-watt generator and plug things into it with extension cords.
- For anything more than that, you might want to consider get large-sized portable generators or even the more expensive standby generators.
Find out which power rating suits your needs best by using the wattage chart below.
Portable Generators Shopping Tips
When choosing portable generators, you should consider these additional factors:
- CARB compliance means lower emissions. Portable generator engines that meet California Air Resources Board (CARB) requirements are the most environmentally friendly.
- Acceptable sound levels depend on the situation. Portable generators’ noise levels range from 47 to 79 decibels, with an average of about 75 decibels. For camping, note that the National Park Service requires sound levels no higher than 60 decibels at a distance of 50 feet – not to worry, all the generators reviewed above meet this criteria.
Where To Buy Portable Generators?
RECOMMENDED – We suggest shopping online at Amazon.com. They carry the widest selection of portable generators with all the name brands. You get the lowest prices online and excellent customer service. Amazon offers Free Super Saving Shipping on orders of $25 or more ( US only ). Plus, we think that all the customer reviews on Amazon for each portable generator would make your buying decision easier.