So how to justify the best charcoal grill? The answer is that it all depends on your intended grilling needs. The best way to help you choose and buy the right charcoal grill is to present the top picks from each category: portable, best barbecue overall and professional charcoal smoker grill.
While a charcoal barbecue grill can be a lot simpler than a gas grill in term of construction, when buying one, you still need to take into consideration a few of its features to ensure the model will grill up to your expectations.
The shape of the grill does play an important part in distribution of cooking heat and whether it retain the temperature efficiently. Paying an extra few bucks to get the best charcoal grill you can afford might save you good some of money in the long run on buying the actual charcoal as fuel and grill accessory replacements.
Another thing to bear in mind is the construction of the grill. For example, while a portable charcoal grill might be good for frequent moving and travels, it might not withstand high cooking temperatures, especially if you need to sear bigger size steaks. In that case you best choice would be the top quality – almost heavy duty commercial charcoal smokers.
Based on expert research, consumer reports and feedback from visitors to our website in 2012, BBQGrillingReviews editors have picked the three models below as top rated charcoal grills for 2012
Best Portable Charcoal Grill
Weber 751001 22.5-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Kettle Grill
- Best charcoal grill for under $200
- Porcelain-enameled bowl and lid to prevent rust
- Removable high capacity ash catcher for a neat cooking experience
- Convenient stainless steel one-touch venting and sweeper system
- Light weight and versatile
- Easy to assemble and clean
- Replacement grill parts are easy to find
- Flimsy one leg support and not very strong wheels.
- The Height is not adjustable
Click here if you want to read Weber Kettle grills comparison between all models.
Best Barbeque Charcoal Grill Overall
Weber 1361001 22.5-Inch One-Touch Platinum Charcoal Grill
- Best quality charcoal BBQ grill for under $250 (has free shipping)
- Extended workspace with Dual Thermoset work tables for convenient preparation of sauces, platters and condiments
- Stronger, more stable and durable than the Gold Version
- The extra height makes grilling experience more enjoyable
- Many replaced their full size propane gas grills with this unit
- Some customers feel its a bit over-priced
Best Professional Charcoal Grill
Weber 1421001 Performer Charcoal Grill, Black
- Cooks restaurant quality smoked meat
- Get Full control of temperature with built-in thermometer
- Saves time with fast-simple to light up propane gas ignition system
- Convenient workspace with plenty of utensils storage
- Solid construction and extremely durable
- Some people don’t like the plastic work table
Click here for full review of Weber Performer Charcoal Grill.
Related Best Rated BBQ Grills
Top 3 Best Gas Grills
Selected based on: owners ratings, quality and features vs. price, and overall performance.
Top 7 Cheap Gas Grills Under $250
Are you a bargain hunter? Read our reviews of top 7 cheap gas bbq models and tips on how to choose inexpensive and good quality gas bbq grills.
Gas grill Ratings Consumer Reports
While Amazon is a great place to find user rated reviews, we found that the star scores given by owners can only reflect very small fraction of people who were super-excited about their purchase.
Return from Best Charcoal Grill to BBQ Smokers Reviews