Before going to your local sporting goods store to buy a good pair of boxing gloves for yourself, you should be ready of what lies ahead. Buying the best boxing gloves can also be a challenging thing to do. It’s not just about picking the first 30-dollar boxing gloves you see on the display rack and going on your day for your most awaited striking training. It’s not as easy as that! There are a lot of things to know and take note before going straight to the store and picking the best boxing gloves.
The market is filled with a vast number of boxing gloves to choose from. What’s offered are those boxing gloves with various styles, forms, weight, and features. Add to that is a huge number of brands and price differentiation that makes picking the best one a very hard thing to do. Now, with all of these, how would you be able to pick the best boxing gloves?
Whether you are a professional boxer or a fitness enthusiast who’s starting to love boxing as a sport, then it is important that you should be guided on picking the best boxing gloves for you. Here, we will provide you with a detailed guide on picking the best boxing gloves that will definitely give back the value that you deserve.
- Know the right size of boxing gloves for you to use
It is important to consider the size of the boxing gloves that you will be using for your training or fights. Boxing gloves sizes are displayed in ounces (oz).
- Sizes appear in even numbers from 8 oz, 10 oz, 12 oz, 14, oz, 16 oz, 18 oz, and 20 oz. Each of which can be used according to purpose, as follows:
>>Commonly used for fights – 8 oz and 10 oz
>>Commonly used for training – 12 oz to 20 oz
- Take note that glove size and glove weight are NOT THE SAME
2. There are different types of boxing gloves for different use
Why are you buying a good pair of boxing gloves in the first place? On what type of boxing activity will you use the boxing gloves for? Here are the different boxing gloves types to let you know.
- Bag Gloves – are boxing gloves used for training (specifically for hitting bags and other boxing training materials). These are perfect for fitness enthusiasts who are starting out in boxing.
- Sparring Gloves – are boxing gloves made to have an extra padding to protect you and your sparring opponent.
- Competition Gloves – are boxing gloves used during fights or while you’re in the ring. These boxing gloves usually have lesser or smaller padding to hurt your opponent. Know that these type of boxing gloves cannot be used for other purposes.
3. Brands do matter when it comes to picking the best boxing gloves
Every brand of boxing gloves has something to offer to every boxers and fitness enthusiasts out there. Some offer more comfortable fit, some offer more protection, while some offer better style.
- Here are some of the brands that you can consider in picking the best boxing gloves for you:
>>Winning Training Boxing Gloves
>>Hayabusa Tokushu Gloves
>>Cleto Reyes Traditional Lace Up Training Gloves
>> Venum Elite Boxing Gloves
>>Twins Special Muay Thai Boxing Gloves
>> Everlast Women’s ProTex2 Training Gloves
4. Decide what boxing gloves really fit you
- Before buying the boxing glove, try each size with your hand wraps on. This will help in letting you know if the boxing gloves really fit perfectly and comfortably on your hands.
- If you don’t have a hand wrap with you, you can still make use of something the size of a quarter, hold it in your palm, and try the boxing gloves.
- How can you know that it is the best fit for you? The boxing gloves should have a nice snug fit. It should not be too tight to the point that your arms are already being deprived of blood circulation.
- You fingers should be securely fit on top of the gloves while your wrist should be perfectly wrapped around by the Velcro fastener or the lace, depending on the style of the boxing gloves.
It is very important to know the important things to consider before picking the best boxing gloves for you. It still goes down to what pair of boxing gloves is perfect for your use, the recommended size, the comfortable fit, and the brand. From this, you are not just picking a certain boxing glove in an instant; you are already investing for a boxing glove that will surely help you in your sport for a long period of time.